Industry Insight: 2020 by the Numbers
January 30, 2020
2020. Perfectly symmetrical, especially when being written. The beginning of a new decade. A test for visual acuity. Otherwise known as MMXX or 20/20. This new year, has made me ponder, what does the number 20 mean?
The number 20 denotes infinite potential when it comes to diplomacy and relationships. It helps bring projects to completion. It is concerned with new beginnings and duality. The number 20 is about karma and reaping what is sown. When a number repeats itself, as it does this year, it acts as a warning for individuals to be patient, take the time to be alone with your thoughts and make more balanced decisions.
What else is the year 2020 representative of? Let’s fill in the blanks.
- 2020 WORD of the Year. EXISTENTIAL
Per dictionary.com, existential captures the collective spirit of human-kind. Zeitgeist.
- 2020 PANTONE COLOR of the Year. CLASSIC BLUE
Per Pantone, classic blue is a shade that is reminiscent of the sky at dusk (especially Chicago’s skyline) and it is a color that anticipates what is going to happen next. Look for it in homes, products and fashion alike.
- 2020 CHINESE SYMBOL of the Year. RAT.
While not the most adorable of animals, the rat ranks first on the Chinese zodiac signs and is the first in the 12-year cycle. Characteristics of those born in the year of the rat include having a keen intuition, the ability to fortell danger and having an industrious and thrifty nature.
- 2020 NUMEROLOGY of the Year. TEAMWORK and SERVICE.
The essence of the numerology number 20 is a holistic understanding of relationships. It is representative of a team worker, skilled negotiator and effective diplomat with a comprehensive point of view.
- Standard dartboard has 20 sectors
- The Kentucky Derby has a maximum field for 20 horses
- In chess, 20 is the number of legal moves for each player in the starting position
- 20 minutes is the length of one period of hockey
Science and Math.
- 20 is the atomic number of calcium
- 20 is the third magic number in physics
- 20 is the number of moves or turns required to optimally solve a Rubik’s Cube in the worst case.
- 20 is the sum of the first four even #’s (2,4,6,8)
- Seeing “20/20” refers to having perfect vision
- 20 Hz is the minimum sound frequency a normal human ear can hear
- 20 is the standard number of baby teeth
History, Language and Culture.
- 20 is the base of the ancient Mayan numeral system
- A Nebuchadnezzar bottle of wine or champagne holds 20 standard bottles.
- There are 20 perfect interlingual homographs (words that share the same meaning/spelling in French, English, German, Italian and Spanish)
- 20 is when you come of age in Japan and Korea
- 20th anniversary gemstone and color is emerald green.
- 20th anniversary is traditionally known as the porcelain anniversary, but more modernly known as the platinum anniversary.
- Andrew Jackson is featured on the US $20 bill
- There have been 20 different designs of the American flag since July 4, 1776
- A group of 20 is referred to as a “score”.
- 20 Questions is a common children’s car game.
- 20 is the international dialing code for Egypt.
- Famous people born on the 20th: Buzz Aldrin, David Lynch, Kurt Cobain, Rihanna, Spike Lee